1. Conference venue The conference takes place in the building hosting the Centre for Social Research (2-4 Lucian Blaga Str.). The building is located within walking distance of the old town centre. The closest bus stops are Teatru (Theathre) and Spitalul Judetean (County Hospital) Wireless Internet access through the EduRoam platform is available in all university buildings (www.eduroam.org). Special arrangements will be made for the rest of the participants.
2. Transport to Sibiu The Sibiu International Airport is directly connected to Cologne, Dortmund, London, München, Stuttgart, Turin, and Vienna with flights operated by Austrian, Blue Air, Lufthansa, Tarom, and Wizz Air. Moreover, Sibiu is close to Târgu Mureș International Airport which is the main operational base in Transylvania for low-cost Wizz Air flights.
3. Airport transfer The local airport is quite close to the city. The cost of a taxi fare from the airport to the city centre is 4-5 Euro. There is also a bus station near the airport entrace. Buses 11, 112 and 118 take you directly to the city centre. The price of the ticket is 1.5 Lei (0.35 Euro cents) if bought from the ticket machine placed in the station or 0.89 Lei if you buy it directly on the bus using a contactless credit or debit card.
4. Local transport If you need to use local transport please note that you can use Google Maps to find information about routes and schedules and plan your trip. All bus stations are equipped with ticket vending machines. Tickets can also be bought directly on the bus if you have a contactless credit card. Your card should have one of the following symbols or You can also by a tourist ticket, valid for a day (5 Lei) or an entire day (18 Lei). The ticket can be bought in advance following this link. Taxi services in Sibiu are quite cheap, 1.78 Lei per Kilometer in daytime and 2.48 Lei per Kilometer in night time, and safe. You can use the services of one of the following companies: Taxi 924 (phone +40-269-924), Taxi 963 (phone +40-269-963), Taxi 953 (phone +40-269-953). Just make sure that the driver does not forget to set the meter on.
5. Recommended hotels Please see our dedicated page – Hotels. All hotels included in the list are within walking distance from the conference venue.
6. Travel documentation American and Canadian citizens as well as citizens of most European countries do not need an entry visa to visit Romania (for stays up to 90 – ninety – days). However, a valid passport is required for all international visitors except for citizens of the countries of the European Union who can enter Romania with their Identity Card. There is no Entry or Departure Tax. Please note that Romania is not a member of Schengen area. An overview of the visa requirements for Romania can be found here.
7. Weather In mid-September the average temperature in Sibiu is 20 degrees Celsius during the day and 5 degrees Celsius during the night. The nights can be cold so it is recommendable to bring some warm clothes with you.
8. Time zone GMT plus two hours.
9. Telecommunications To use a public telephone you need a phone card which is sold in post offices, some news-stands or at Telecom office. The telephone numbers have ten digits: the first four digits – 0269 – indicate the Sibiu code and the rest six the number. When calling from abroad dial 0040269 followed by the six digits number.
10. Currency The currency in use in Romania is Leu (ROL), which is divided into 100 bani. Coins exist in denominations of 50, 10, 5 and 1 Ban. Banknotes exist in denominations of 500, 200, 100, 50, 10, 5 and 1 Leu. Foreign currencies can be exchanged at banks or exchange offices; generally there is no commission for exchange. Banks are generally open from 9:00 to 17:00, while exchange offices operate longer. The current exchange rates are approximately: 1 Euro = 4.5 Lei, 1 USD = 4 Lei. Payment by credit or debit card is widely available and safe. Please note that most of the times the PIN is required to finalise any transaction. If paying by credit or debit card you will only pay the fees set by your bank as Romanian law requires merchants not to charge extra-fees for card payments.
11. Working hours Shops in the city centre are generally open between 9:00 and 21:00 from Monday to Saturday and operate on shorter schedules on Sunday. Supermarkets operate longer. The shopping mall (located outside the city) operates from 9:00 to 21:00, Monday to Sunday. Publi services and companies generally work from 8:00 to 16:00, Monday to Friday.
12. Language The official language is Romanian, but many people speak English, French or German or are able to understand some Italian or Spanish.
13. Safety and medical care Romania is a safe country. You are however encouraged to take the necessary precautions to ensure your safety. In case of an emergency you should call 112. Emergency medical assistance is free of charge. Other medical assistance is provided to EU citizens under EU rules. Citizens of other states should check if there is some sort of agreement between their country and Romania, otherwise they should purchase a private medical insurance. Pharmacies are generally open between 9:00 and 20:00. There are also pharmacies which operate 24/7. Should you need one, please find the addresses and operation hours here.
14. Electrical system The electrical system in Romania is based on 220 V, frequency 50Hz. Socket types: Europlug, Schuko. Visitors from UK or overseas will need plug adapters and/or tranformers.
15. Tourism If you do not have much time, the must see or do list for Sibiu includes: a walk through the Old Town, a visit to the Brukenthal Museum (open Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 to 18:00, Main Square), and a visit to the Open Air Astra Museum (open Monday to Sunday, 10:00 to 18:00, plan for at least 3 hours plus the time it takes to get there, accessible by taxi or bus no. 13).
16.Tourist information centres Sibiu City Hall, Str. Samuel Brukenthal, nr. 2, Main Square Entrace (F) Tel: 0040 269 208 913, Fax: 0040 269 208 811 E-mail: email@example.com Opening hours: Monday – Friday: 09:00 – 17:00, Saturday – Sunday: 09:00 – 13:00. Sibiu Airport, Sos. Alba Iulia, nr. 73 Tel/fax: 0040 269 253 999 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Opening hours: Monday – Friday: 9.30 -17.30.
17. Shopping tips If you need to shop for gifts and we can make a few recommendations UAP Art Gallery – local artists, Piața Mare, no. 12 Florile Transilvaniei – artisan shop, Str. Turnului, no. 6, in the Old Town Popular Art Gallery at ASTRA Museum, Piața Mică, no. 21 Gossip Tree – young fashion designers from Sibiu, Str. Turnului, no. 2, Old Town IA Sibiu – concept store – traditional and tradition-inspired clothing, especially traditional Romanian blouses, Piața Mică Crama Noastră – wine, Str. Papiu Ilarian, no.6, in the Old Town.
18. Useful websites and links Sibiu City App for Android – Available on Google Play Sibiu City App for IPhone – Available on ITunes Official Tourist Information Website http://www.turism.sibiu.ro/index.php/en/info.